Five people killed in Nashville plane crash along I-40

Five people killed in Nashville plane crash along I-40

A tragic incident occurred along Interstate 40 in West Nashville, resulting in the loss of five lives after a small plane crashed, as confirmed by officials. Don Aaron, spokesperson for the Metro Nashville Police, relayed that the aircraft reported engine failure shortly before the crash, which took place around 7:45 p.m. near mile marker 202 on I-40. Emergency responders from the Nashville Fire Department swiftly mobilized to the scene, where the wreckage forced the closure of eastbound lanes of I-40, causing anticipated delays and lane closures extending into Tuesday morning.

Accounts provided by witnesses indicated that the plane, traveling from north to south, ultimately came to rest in a grassy median adjacent to I-40, just behind the Costco store on Charlotte Pike. Fortunately, the crash did not result in any damage to nearby buildings or vehicles. Kendra Loney, a spokesperson for the Nashville Fire Department, described the impact as “catastrophic,” noting that witnesses observed the plane imploding upon hitting the ground.

Following the tragic incident, Metro police confirmed via Twitter, shortly after midnight, that all five occupants of the plane had perished. Both the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) were present at the scene, with the latter scheduled to conduct a thorough investigation into the crash.

Stacey Nickens, spokesperson for Nashville International Airport, revealed that the aircraft, identified as a C-FBWH, departed from Mount Sterling, Kentucky, at approximately 7:19 p.m. Its intended destination was John C. Tune Airport in Nashville, with an expected arrival time of 7:43 p.m. The circumstances leading to the crash prompted a joint investigation by the NTSB and FAA, following safety protocols established by Metro first responders.

Upon arrival at the crash site, firefighters were confronted with intense flames, yet managed to contain the fire and preserve crucial evidence for investigative purposes. Aaron disclosed that the control tower at John Tune Airport had received distress messages from the pilot regarding engine and power failure, necessitating an emergency landing. Tragically, the pilot’s efforts to reach the airport were unsuccessful, culminating in the fatal crash.

Eyewitnesses, including Jamie Hollin, a Nashville resident, recounted their disbelief at witnessing the aftermath of the crash. Hollin described the scene as unrecognizable, with the severity of the fire obscuring the nature of the wreckage. Nashville Mayor Freddie O’Connell extended condolences to the families of those affected by the tragedy, acknowledging the gravity of the situation.

Efforts to mitigate traffic congestion in the area included the partial reopening of eastbound lanes of I-40 between the Charlotte Pike and White Bridge Road exits late Monday night. However, drivers were cautioned to anticipate continued delays and exercise caution while navigating the affected stretch of the interstate.